2.1.4 Basic Child Window Operations
This topic covers basic operations common to all Origin child windows.
Moving and Resizing Windows
- To move a window, drag the window title bar.
- To manually resize a window, drag a corner of the window with your mouse.
- To maximize a window, click the maximize button in the upper-right corner of the window.
- To minimize a window, click the minimize button in the upper-right corner of the window.
Hiding and Deleting Windows
- Click Close in the upper-right corner of the window. Click Hide to remove the window from the workspace but NOT delete it from the Origin project. Click Delete to permanently remove the window from the Origin project.
- Right-click on a window icon in Project Explorer and choose Hide Window or Delete Window from the shortcut menu.
- Toggle between Show Window and Hide Window by double-clicking the window icon in Project Explorer.
When you click the window's Close button, Origin asks if you want to hide or delete the window. To change this behavior (and skip the prompt):
- Select Tools: Options.
- In the Options dialog box, select the Open/Close tab and in the Window Closing Options group, then specify how you want Origin to respond when you click a particular window type's Close button.
Active Window Indicator
Beginning with Origin 2018b, the active child window -- the window that will be acted upon by graphing and analysis operations -- will display a colored frame to make the active window more obvious. You can customize the active window indicator properties with "@ System Variables" @AWC (color) and @AWI (style).
System variables @AWC and @AWI are persistent system variables (they are written to the registry) and thus, you do NOT need to do any more than set a value using the Script Window and the value will be remembered across sessions. Simply choose Window: Script Window, enter a value at the command line and press Enter (e.g. @AWC=color(255,0,0)).
Returning to Last Activated Window
- Choose Window: Return to Last Window from Origin menu.
- Press the hot key Ctrl + Alt + Z.
All Origin Windows, including Graph, Matrix, Worksheet, Layout, Notes, Excel sheet window, support this operation which is also known as Ping Pong.
- Choose Window: Duplicate from the Origin menu.
- Click the Duplicate on the Standard toolbar.
Origin names duplicated windows using this default naming syntax:
where N is assigned the lowest available number not used by other project window names of the same type.
|| Default Name
For more information, see Origin Child Window Naming Conventions.
You can duplicate workbooks or matrix books, with or without data, by right-clicking on the window title bar and choosing an option from the shortcut menu.
Refreshing a window
Whenever you change the contents of a graph window or a worksheet, or expose a part of a window that was hidden, Origin automatically redraws the affected portion of the window. To manually refresh the active window, click the Refresh button on the Standard toolbar.
Note: If a graph contains large dataset, redrawing is time-consuming. When you expose a part of a hidden window or resize the window and it takes more than 500ms to redraw, Origin 2018 uses bitmap buffering to escape the redrawing process and improve the speed. In this case, when resizing the window you should see that the graph content is not updated "in real time" and the quality may be "bad" because the bitmap is used to stretch/compress. The quality will be updated when resizing is completed.
Saving a window to a file
A template is saved without data. A window file is saved with data.
To save the active window:
- Choose Notes Window and Excel Window, choose and , respectively); or right-click on the window icon in Project Explorer and choose from the shortcut menu.
from the Origin menu (For
- Right-click on the title bar and choose Notes Window and Excel Windows, choose and , respectively). from the shortcut menu (For
Origin will save the window with the appropriate file extension.
Opening window files in the Origin Project
To open a window from a file:
- Select File: Open from Origin menu.
- Click the Open button on the Standard toolbar.
- Right-click on an empty portion of the Origin workspace and choose File: Open from the short-cut menu.
Select the type of the window to be opened, then choose a file. The window becomes a part of the current project.
Under the Files of type item, there is an Opens as read-only check box. This check box is available only when an OPJ or an Excel file is selected. Attempting to save a read-only file will produce an error message.
The Show Info check box near the bottom of the Open dialog box can determine whether to show comments, which can be saved with OPJ files.
Opening Files by Drag-and-Drop
|| What happens when the file is dropped onto Origin
|| If current project has been saved and there were no changes made after saving, append the dropped opj to current project. Otherwise, close the current project and open the dropped project.
| OGG, OGW, OGM
|| Open the ogg, ogw, ogm files in Origin.
| OTP, OTW, OTM
|| Open the template files in Origin.
|| Install the dialog theme so it becomes available in the menus, the related dialog, LabTalk scripts and the theme organizer. The theme file will be saved to \Themes\AnalysisAndReportTable subfolder under your User Files Folder.
|| Install the fitting function.|
If the function file is saved in Origin 2017 or earlier versions, during installation, a dialog pops up, asking which category the file should be put into. For files saved in Origin 2018 and further versions, as they have already included the category information during their creations or saving, the function file will be copied to the same category.
And, for all versions, another dialog will pop up to ask whether to copy the file to the \FitFunc subfolder under your User Files Folder.
|| Install the X-Function.
| OPX, OPK
|| Install the package. It will be shown in the installed opx list in the Package Manager .
|| Install the Worksheet or graph theme. The file will be saved to \Themes\Worksheet or \Themes\Graph subfolders under your user files folder and will be shown in the Theme Organizer.
| C, CPP, H, OGS
|| Open the file in the Code Builder.