2.74 FAQ-815 How do I copy report sheet tables and paste them into Word, Excel or PowerPoint?
Last Update: 10/9/2020
Many of Origin's Analysis and Statistics tools create output in the form of an Analysis Report Sheet. This FAQ will show you how to insert that data into Office applications.
PowerPoint or Excel, All Origin Versions
- To copy just the text content of a report table, (a) click on the drop-down menu button on the corresponding table node or (b) right-click inside the table, then choose Copy Table (Text) (will just be Copy Table in earlier versions).
- Switch to PowerPoint and on the Insert tab, expand the Table menu and choose Excel Spreadsheet. Click into the A1 cell in the inserted Excel sheet and use Ctrl + V to paste the Origin table into it. Drag handles on the inserted table to show all the results.
Similarly, to insert the table into Excel, simply click on a cell in the spreadsheet and press Ctrl + V. However, Copy Table (Text) does not support copying of footnotes that are included with some report tables. For information on including footnotes, see Word and other Office Applications, Origin 2021 and Later.
Word and other Office Applications, Origin 2020/b
In Origin 2020 or 2020b, use the Copy Table(HTML,EMF) menu command to copy tables including graphs, and paste them as an HTML table into an Excel/Word page. This differs from 2021 and later versions (see below) in that embedded graphs are copied but footnotes are not (the "EMF" component allows you to insert an non-editable EMF object into an Origin graph, workbook or layout window).
To copy multiple tables at one time and paste them into an Excel or Word document:
- Expand the tables you want to copy.
- Click the drop-down menu button above any table or right-click in the table and select Copy All Open Tables.
- Paste the table group into another Origin window or another application.
Word and other Office Applications, Origin 2021 and Later
Beginning with Origin 2021, you can copy report tables and footnotes as HTML and insert then into Office applications.
- To copy a report table, (a) click on the drop-down menu button on the corresponding table node or (b) right-click inside the table, then choose Copy Table (HTML).
- To copy multiple tables, collapse those that you do not want to copy, then right-click on the report sheet page and choose Copy All Open Tables (HTML).
- Go to your Office application (e.g. MS Word) and insert using the Keep Source Formatting paste option. The same action will work in Excel or PowerPoint. For best results in PowerPoint, first insert an Excel table as described above.
Copy All Open Tables (HTML) can strain system resources. If you are getting poor results, try closing unneeded applications. If that fails, try restarting your computer.
Keywords:Report, Copy, Table, HTML, EMF, PowerPoint, Word, Excel