9.1.3 The (Plot Details) Layers Tab
Controls on the Layers tab apply to all layers on the Graph Page:
- Common Display: Controls for enabling simultaneous editing of layer, plot and axis properties.
- Drawing Order: Drawing behavior for overlapping layers with background color.
- Set Active Layer by Layer Icon Only: Limit setting of active layer to clicking on icon.
- Activate the graph window and double-click on an empty portion of the graph, then click the graph (page) icon in the left panel of Plot Details; or from the menu, click Format: Page Properties.
- Click on the Layers tab.
- To use the Common Display controls, check the following boxes before you begin making customizations.
- Once you have closed Plot Details, you can continue to customize selected properties using the Format and Style toolbar buttons. This makes multi-panel customizations, for instance, very fast and efficient.
| Layer Properties
Apply all layer-level properties on all tabs in the Plot Details dialog box to all plots, subject to conditions of the Apply to controls, except:
- Controls on the Link Axes Scales tab.
- The Layer Area group on the Size/Speed tab.
| Plot Properties
Apply all plot-level properties on all tabs in the Plot Details dialog box to all plots of the same plot type, subject to conditions of the Apply to controls. Note that same plot type is key (e.g. you have a panel graph of line plots and you change one plot to a column plot. This will NOT change the other line plots to column plots. Note also that the available plot-level tabs to the right side in Plot Details may change depending on plot type).
| Axis Style
Apply all properties on all tabs in the Axis dialog except those on the Scale and Breaks tabs for the same axis (Bottom/Top/Left/Right), subject to conditions of the Apply to controls.
| Axis Scale
Apply all properties on the Axis dialog Scale and Breaks tabs for the same dimension (Horizontal/Vertical), subject to conditions of the Apply to controls.
| Show/Hide Plots with Same
|| Use the check box in conjunction with the drop-down to set conditions for showing or hiding plots of the same Name or Index, subject to conditions of the Apply to controls. Note that merely checking the box does not show or hide anything. Once you have set conditions, you can show or hide plots in these ways:
- Checking or unchecking a box beside one plot in the left panel of Plot Details.
- Checking or unchecking a box beside one plot in the Object Manager.
| Apply to
|| Defines the layers to which the Layer, Plot, Axis and Show/Hide properties should apply, with the default being all layers in the window (page):
- All Layers except: List one or more layers using Layer Name or Index. Layer Name is visible in the left panel of Plot Details or in the Object Manager (e.g. Layer1). The Index is simply the number portion of the Layer Name (eg. Index for Layer1 is 1). Multiple layer identifiers can be entered and should be space-separated.
- Linked Layers: Modifications to a linked layer will only affect other linked layers (e.g. If Layer2 is linked to Layer1, and Layer4 is linked to Layer3, any modification to Layer1 will affect Layer2, but will not affect Layer3 and Layer4. Likewise, modifications to Layer2 will affect Layer1, but will not affect Layer3 and Layer4.
Draw All Layers As a Single Composite forces display of data in both layers even if one or both layers have a background color.
Draw Layer by Layer will draw layer 2 after completely drawing layer 1, including the layer 1 background. If you specify a background color for layer 2 by selecting layer 2 from the tree structure in Plot Details, and choosing a color on the Background tab, then the background in the second layer will mask elements of the first layer. If you leave the background as None then the data in layer 1 will be visible through layer 2.
Set Active Layer by Layer Icon Only
Select this check box to ensure that a layer can be made active only by clicking on the layer icon in the upper left corner of the graph page.
Column/Bar/Box Gap Across Layers
Check this check box to enable control of the gap and offset between columns/bars/boxes at same X position but across layers.
This check box is available when the following conditions are met:
- Page has multiple layers and all layers are linked to layer 1.
- X-axis has a Straight link to layer 1(on the Link Axes Scales tab of the Plot Details dialog at the layer level).
- All layers' dimensions use % of Linked Layer and have Left set to 0 and Width set to 100 (on the Size/Speed tab of the Plot Details dialog at the layer level).
When this check box is selected, you can customize the columns'/bars'/boxes' gap or offset across layers on the Spacing tab of the Plot Details dialog of the first data plot in layer 1; the corresponding controls of the other plots will grey out.