9.1.3 The (Plot Details) Layers Tab
Controls on the Layers tab apply to all layers on the Graph Page:
- Common Display: Controls for enabling simultaneous editing of layer, plot and axis properties.
- Drawing Order: Drawing behavior for overlapping layers with background color.
- Set Active Layer by Layer Icon Only: Limit setting of active layer to clicking on icon.
- Activate the graph window and double-click on an empty portion of the graph, then click the graph (page) icon in the left panel of Plot Details; or from the menu, click Format: Page.
- Click on the Layers tab.
|Note: Scatter matrices do not show Common Display controls on the Layers tab because they already support group customization. For instance, setting a background color for one diagonal cell will set it for all other diagonal cells.
The Common Display controls are used to apply customizations made to one graph layer to other graph layers in the same multi-layer graph page. In a simple example, you have a multi-layer graph and you want to make each layer's plots the same color. You could do this by selecting each plot individually, then applying the same color to each using the Fill and Line/Border Color buttons on the Style toolbar. Or, you could check the Plot Properties box on the Layers tab and change all layer's plots at once.
The Plot Details "Common Display" Group:
- To use the Common Display controls, check the desired boxes before you begin making customizations, with the Plot Details dialog box or using the using toolbar buttons.
- You can continue to customize selected graph properties after closing Plot Details, by using the Format and Style toolbar buttons. This makes multi-panel customizations, for instance, very fast and efficient.
Common Display, Control by Control
| Layer Properties
Apply all layer-level properties on all tabs in the Plot Details dialog box to all plots, subject to conditions of the Apply to controls, except:
- Controls on the Link Axes Scales tab.
- The Layer Area group on the Size/Speed tab.
| Plot Properties
Apply all plot-level properties on all tabs in the Plot Details dialog box to all plots of the same plot type, subject to conditions of the Apply to controls. Note that same plot type is key (e.g. you have a panel graph of line plots and you change one plot to a column plot. This will NOT change the other line plots to column plots. Note also that the available plot-level tabs to the right side in Plot Details may change depending on plot type).
| Axis Style
Apply all properties on all tabs in the Axis dialog except those on the Scale and Breaks tabs for the same axis (Bottom/Top/Left/Right), subject to conditions of the Apply to controls.
| Axis Scale
Apply all properties on the Axis dialog Scale and Breaks tabs for the same dimension (Horizontal/Vertical), subject to conditions of the Apply to controls.
| Panel Layout
|| Applicable primarily to Double-Y Trellis Plots. Checking this box means that the following properties will be shared between layers, subject to conditions of the Apply to controls:
For more information on Trellis Plots, see Trellis Plots and the Plot Details Panel tab.
| Show/Hide Plots with Same
|| Use the check box in conjunction with the drop-down to set conditions for showing or hiding plots of the same Name or Index, subject to conditions of the Apply to controls. Note that merely checking the box does not show or hide anything. Once you have set conditions, you can show or hide plots in these ways:
- Checking or unchecking a box beside one plot in the left panel of Plot Details.
- Checking or unchecking a box beside one plot in the Object Manager.
| Apply to
|| Defines the layers to which the Layer, Plot, Axis, Panel Layout and Show/Hide properties should apply, with the default being all layers in the window (page):
- Layers: Select this button, to Include or Exclude a space-separated list of layers (identified by layer name or index) for Common Display. Layer name can be seen in Plot Details or Object Manager. Layer index is shown on the layer icon in the upper-left corner of the graph window (e.g. ).
- Linked Layers: Modifications to a linked layer will only affect other linked layers (e.g. If Layer2 is linked to Layer1, and Layer4 is linked to Layer3, any modification to Layer1 will affect Layer2, but will not affect Layer3 and Layer4. Likewise, modifications to Layer2 will affect Layer1, but will not affect Layer3 and Layer4.
Draw All Layers As a Single Composite forces display of data in both layers even if one or both layers have a background color.
Draw Layer by Layer will draw layer 2 after completely drawing layer 1, including the layer 1 background. If you specify a background color for layer 2 by selecting layer 2 from the tree structure in Plot Details, and choosing a color on the Background tab, then the background in the second layer will mask elements of the first layer. If you leave the background as None then the data in layer 1 will be visible through layer 2.
Set Active Layer by Layer Icon Only
Select this check box to ensure that a layer can be made active only by clicking on the layer icon in the upper left corner of the graph page.
Column/Bar/Box Gap Across Layers
Check this check box to enable control of the gap and offset between columns/bars/boxes at same X position but across layers.
This check box is available when the following conditions are met:
- Page has multiple layers and all layers are linked to layer 1.
- X-axis has a Straight link to layer 1(on the Link Axes Scales tab of the Plot Details dialog at the layer level).
- All layers' dimensions use % of Linked Layer and have Left set to 0 and Width set to 100 (on the Size tab of the Plot Details dialog at the layer level).
When this check box is selected, you can customize the columns'/bars'/boxes' gap or offset across layers on the Spacing tab of the Plot Details dialog of the first data plot in layer 1; the corresponding controls of the other plots will grey out.