8.11.1 Labeling Data Points
The Text tool and the Annotation tool available from the Tools toolbar can be used to label specific elements of the plot. To label all data points in a dataplot, use one of the following methods.
Label tab of the Plot Details dialog
You can use the Label tab of the Plot Details dialog to add labels to all points of a data plot. This Label tab can be found on the right side of the Plot Details dialog when a data plot icon is selected on the left panel.
To add labels for a data plot:
- Double-click on the data plot you want to label.
- On the Plot Details dialog that opens, make sure the data plot icon is selected on the left side of the dialog and go to the Label tab on the right side of the dialog.
- Select the Enable check box.
- Use the Label Form list with the Numeric Display Format and Format String to construct your label.
- Customize other settings as needed (font, color, rotation, offsets, position, auto-reposition, leader lines, etc) using Label tab controls; or close the Plot Details dialog and customize labels using available toolbar buttons on the Style and Format toolbars.
Since Origin 2020, we have introduced the context-sensitive Mini Toolbars for faster graph customization. You can also use the controls on it to label the data points:
- To quickly add and remove labels for the plot group and a single plot, click on one plot, and on the pop-up Mini Toolbar,
- under the Group tab , click the Show Data Labels button to add and remove labels for all plots in current group. By default, the Y values of data points will show as labels.
- under the Single tab , click the Show Data Labels button to add and remove labels for all plots of current plot. By default, the Y values of data points will show as labels.
- To quickly customize a single data label in your graph, press CTRL + click to select a single point (symbol, bar, etc.), then on the Mini Toolbar click the Show Data Labels button . By default, the Y value of this data point will show as label.
You can then use Format toolbar buttons to customize the label(s). For a greater range of customization options, double-click on the label(s) or click on the Open Plot Details button to open Plot Details. From here, use the controls on the tabs on the right side of the dialog to customize your label.
For help with specific Label tab controls, see:
Label data using Labels column
Values in a pre-designated Origin Label column or in an Excel worksheet column can be used to label data points in a graph. Labeling points in this way is an older method and it remains primarily for backward compatibility. In earlier versions of Origin, designated Label columns appeared as a separate dataset in Plot Details. Beginning with Origin 2020b, designated Label columns will simply be treated as a display option of the data plot and will be controlled via a common Label tab.
- To use values in an Origin worksheet column as plot labels, the column intended for labeling must be:
- Designated as a Label column.
- Located to the right of the Y column to be labeled (a row-by-row association is created). If more than one Y column is selected along with the Label column, Origin labels those data points from the nearest Y column to the left of the label column.