6.6.6 Multi-line-plot with Special Position Annotation Line
This tutorial will show you how to create a multi-line-plot with special position annotation line.
Minimum Origin Version Required: Origin 2015 SR0
This tutorial is associated with <Origin EXE Folder>\Samples\Tutorial Data.opj.
Also, you can refer to this graph in Learning Center. (Select Help: Learning Center menu or press F11 key , and then open Graph Sample: Line and Symbol)
- Open Tutorial Data.opj and browse to the Multi-line-plot with Special Position Annotation Line folder in Project Explorer (PE).
- Active to the worksheet in workbook Multi-line-plot with Special Position Annotation Line. To plot a multiple line plot, highlight all the columns in the worksheet, and click the Line button on the 2D Graphs toolbar. Delete the legend object from graph.
- Double click the axis to open the axis dialog, set the axis scale and ticks via dialog:
- Go to the Line and Ticks tab and set the ticks:
- Go to the Scale tab in same dialog, set the scale for X and Y axis:
For X (Horizontal): From 74505 to 74575;
For Y (Vertical): From -2500 to 45000;
- Go to the Ticks Labels tab and change the display format for Left into Scientific: 10^3, then, go to the Grids tab with Horizontal icon selected, check Show for Major Grid Lines, click OK to close the dialog.
- Select the View: Show: Frame in main menu to added a line frame on the graph. The graph is similar to this now:
- Double click the plot line to open the Plot Details dialog, in Group tab, open the Increment Editor as shown in graph, designate color for each line, then click OK to close two dialog.
- Then, you will add vertical line on Graph, select Insert: Straight Line in main menu to open the dialog, set the X coordinates in the dialog, and set color: red, click OK to apply the settings.
- A straight line with text was added on the graph. Edit the Text object above the line object by double click it, the and in Format toolbar is helpful when creating superscripts and subscripts. Entering the content as shown in graph below:
Then, click somewhere outside the text box to quit the text editing, drag to move the text to a proper position.
Now, the text object get the X coordinates of the line, when you drag to move the line object horizontal, the text also updates simultaneously.
- Add explanatory strings for line plot, add a title on the graph by using Text Tool as well.
The finished graph is similar to the graph in Summary Section in this tutorial.
There are 2 ways to edit text labels:
- In-place Text Editing: Double-clicking puts you in WYSIWYG edit mode. Using the Style and Format toolbars makes it easy to add formatting to any text. For special characters, the Symbol Map can be used.
The Symbol Map can only be opened while in In-place edit mode. To enter In-place edit mode, double-click on the text label. Then, open the Symbol Map by pressing CTRL+M. Or right-click inside the text label and select Symbol Map.
- Text Control dialog box (from previous versions of Origin): Hold down the CTRL key when double-clicking text. Highlight any portion of the text and apply the desired style, Greek font, etc.
You can also right-click on a text label and select Properties to open this dialog.