6.15 2D Vector Graph
A vector plot is a multidimensional graph used in industries such as meteorology, aviation, research, and construction that illustrate flow patterns (e.g. of wind, water, magnetic fields, etc.). Both direction and magnitude are represented in a vector graph. Origin includes two types of vector plots:
- Vector XYAM - takes a starting XY location for the vector tail (by default), an angle and a magnitude.
- Vector XYXY - takes two XY positions and connects them with a vector.
Minimum Origin Version Required: Origin 2015 SR0
What you will learn
This tutorial will show you how to:
- Use Two data organizing mode to plot a vector graph.
- Use Plot Setup to assign plot data
This tutorial is associated with <Origin EXE Folder>\Samples\Tutorial Data.opj.
Also, you can refer to these graphs in Learning Center. (Select Help: Learning Center menu or press F11 key , and then open Graph Sample: Specialized Graphs)
To create a vector plot, you need four data columns, and to organize your data into two modes:
XYAM stands for X, Y, Angle and Magnitude. Vectors will start from point (X, Y), and rotate a specified angle. The following example uses XYAM data mode to create a vector graph.
- Open Tutorial Data.opj and browse to the 2D Vector folder in Project Explorer (PE).
- Activate the data worksheet Book8E. Without highlighting any columns, select Plot: Specialized: Vector XYAM from the main menu to open the Plot Setup dialog. Assign columns A, B, D, C to X, Y, A, M as shown below, then click OK to plot the graph.
In order to show all three panels in Plot Setup dialog, please expand Plot Type panel by clicking and expand Available Data panel by clicking again.
Please refer to Plotting using Plot Setup for more information.
- Select Format:Plot... to pull up the plot level of the Plot Details dialog. In the Vector tab change the Magnitude Multiplier drop-down list to 75. Click the OK button to close Plot Details dialog.
- Double-click the X or Y axis to open the Axis dialog. Go to the Line and Ticks tab, in the left panel, hold Ctrl key to select both Bottom and Left icons, check the Use Same Options for Bottom and Top check box. This will apply the settings in bottom X to top X, and those in left Y to right Y.
- Go to the Tick Labels tab, hold Ctrl key to select both the Top and Right icons in the left panel, check Show check box. Click OK to apply the setting and close the Axis dialog.
- Right click on the legend box to bring up the context menu. Select Properties... to open the Object Properties dialog. Type \l(1) Field Strength in the text box and click OK.
- Add a layer title: Spot Write Effectiveness.
Another data organizing mode is XYXY; where the first X, Y is the vector starting point, while the last X, Y is the ending point.
To create such a vector graph, activate workbook Book9E under the 2D Vector folder, highlight all of the four data columns in it, and select Plot: Specialized: Vector XYXY from the main menu. Delete the axis titles if necessary.