6.46 FAQ-751 I see a message "License file missing or incorrect." when I run Origin. What is wrong?
Last Update: 11/20/2015
There is a conflict between Origin's MSI installer and Microsoft KB3072630 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3072630) that was pushed out on July 15th, 2015. On a computer with KB3072630 installed, if you use the MSI installer to install Origin, when you try to run Origin, Notepad will open with a message "License file missing or incorrect."
If there is another PC with Origin installed successfully, copy OLicense.lic file from the installed Origin folder there and paste it to the Origin folder on the problematic PC and see if the problem can be fixed.
If the above doesn't work or you don't have a PC with Origin installed successfully, please use the following instructions to resolve this problem.
- Uninstall Origin from Programs and Features.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
Note: If this subkey does not exist, create it.
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- For the DWORD name, type RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy, and then press Enter.
- Right-click RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Install Origin.
- After Origin installs successfully, reset the RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy DWORD value to 0 to re-enable the security fix for KB 3072630.
If you use a script or .BAT file for your installation, you can add "reg add" lines to the script before and after the "call" line. Here is an example:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer" /v "RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy" /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
call msiexec.exe /i "Origin2016Sr0Setup32and64Bit.msi" /passive TRANSFORMS="Origin2016mst.Mst" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\Originlab\Origin 2016\" USERNAME="Test User" COMPANYNAME="Test" PIDKEY="G9374-8099-7111111"
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer" /v "RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
If you use the InstallShield Setup installer instead of the MSI installer and you also see the "License file missing or incorrect" message when you start Origin, please contact us.
Keywords:License file missing, MSI