5 What's New in 2019
Origin 2019 New Feature Highlights
- Windows-like Search: Use keywords or phrases to search for and directly access menus, Apps, Help, Videos and X-Functions.
- New Workbook Dialog Box: New dialog with many built-in templates, plus ability to add user-templates and set any template as your default workbook template.
- Add Sparkline Toolbar button: Toolbar button for quickly adding sparklines to selected columns.
- New Graph Types: Double-Y Trellis Plots, Parallel Plots, Cluster Plot, Violin Plot, Row-wise Line Series, Contour Plot - Categorical Z, Heatmap with Labels, Tetrahedral Coordinates Plot.
- Data Highlighter: Highlight a data point in the graph and simultaneously select all data points in the graph window from the same worksheet row. Simultaneously selects the worksheet data row. Supports Shift/Ctrl multiple selection.
- Data Point Tooltip: Customizable tooltip displays data point information, including metadata and images, when mousing over 2D plots.
- Data Plot Highlighter: Click on a data plot in the Object Manager or the graph window and dim all other plots in the window.
- Conditional Formatting of Worksheet Cells: Format cells by mathematical expression. Color duplicate values. Directly create a heatmap by coloring cells based on contained numeric values.
- Column List View: Creates a rotated view of the worksheet that hides data. Particularly useful for viewing large worksheets with many column label rows (header rows) containing metadata.
- New Apps: Many new Apps including a Statistics Advisor for help in choosing the appropriate statistical test, plus Graph Publisher, Design of Experiments, etc. For more information, see the Apps section at the bottom of this page.
New Features by Category
- Start Menu: Windows-like search bar can be activated by clicking the red Start button in the lower left corner of the workspace; or when no dialog box is open, by pressing the F1 key.
- New Workbook dialog box: By default, the New Workbook dialog opens when you run Origin or start a new project. Choose from System Templates, User Templates or create a workbook on-the-fly. Options to choose a default template for startup or new projects; and hide the New Workbook dialog on startup/new project.
- Template Preview Images: Add an image preview to your workbook windows, templates and analysis templates, for display in the New Workbook dialog box.
- Numeric Units in worksheet or graph: Origin worksheet columns can now be configured to display units (e.g. "km") alongside numeric values in the cell and still have the worksheet treat the data as numeric.
- Sparklines Toolbar button: New button on Column toolbar adds sparklines to selected worksheet columns.
- "Origin Central" becomes "Learning Center": The Learning Center replaces Origin Central. It is has been simplified, with links to sample graphing and analysis projects and online resources including videos, tutorials, the OriginLab blog and Origin social media pages.
- Reorganized Help: Open Folder menu: The Help: Open Folder menu item is expanded to give quick access to key Windows file folders including the User Files Folder, Program Folder, Autosave, Backup and Unsaved Projects folders, plus the current project folder.
- New 2D Graph and 3D Graph toolbar buttons: New buttons for Violin Plots, Row-wise Line + Symbol, Multi-Y Colormapped Line Series, Contour Heatmap w/ Label and 3D Tetrahedral Scatter.
- Clickable Spreadsheet Cell Notation icon: Previous versions required opening the Workbook Properties dialog box and clearing a check box. Now, you can toggle spreadsheet cell notation (SCN) on or off by clicking the SCN icon in the upper-left corner of the workbook and selecting from a shortcut menu.
- Color Selector: Colors dialog can be opened by typing "colors" into the Script Window. Pick an onscreen color and dump the color's hex value (e.g. #FF0000) to the Script Window.
- Project Explorer Improvements: Creating and naming a folder is now one step. A Show Folders context menu item is added to the bottom panel.
- New Date-Time systems: Added to Origin's long-time adjusted Julian Date system, are (1) a true Julian Date system (no 12 hr offset) and (2) a "2018" system which establishes 0 as Jan 1, 2018 at 00:00. The 2018 system allows much greater precision when dealing with fractional seconds.
- Origin Notifications: A new fading notifications window will show in the upper-right corner of the workspace.
- New Options Dialog Settings: Add Proxy control to Miscellaneous, move Bisection Search Points to Graph tab and Footnote Size Ratio (renamed as Footnote Size Ratio in Analysis Reports) to Text Fonts tab.
Data Visualization Enhancements
- Data Point Tooltip: Mouse over the data points in a plot to view key data point information. Information display is customizable by right-clicking on the tooltip and choosing Properties. Custom configurations can be saved as a Theme and reused.
- Data Highlighter: Click on a plotted point (or CTRL + click on multiple points) and the corresponding data row(s) are highlighted in the worksheet. Conversely, enter highlight mode in the graph window, then click on one or more worksheet rows to highlight the corresponding data points in the plot.
- Compound Style for lines: Compound line styles are now available for plotted lines. These can be selected from the Line tab of Plot Details.
- Data Plot Highlighting: Click on a plot and other plots in the graph window will fade. To highlight a plot that is part of a plot group, click twice on the plot; or select the plot in the Object Manager.
New Graph Types
- Trellis with Double-Y Axes: Plot Y variables on left and right Y axes with different scales.
- Parallel Plots: Support for plotting of numeric or categorical data, plus "curving" of plots. Plots can have color scales or the default legend for 2D graphs.
- Cluster Plot: Multi-layer panel graph with an option to arrange panels by variables in both the horizontal and vertical dimensions. Choice of line, symbol, line+symbol or column/bar plots. Control over layer spacing and linking. Specify number of columns or overlay all layers.
- Row-wise Line Series with Error Bars: Useful when data are arranged across rows (e.g. X data in the first column followed by alternating Y and yEr± columns).
- Contour with Categorical Z Values: When the "Z" column is Set As Categorical, you can create a contour plot with each category mapped to a color on a color scale.
- Heatmap with Labels: Create a mosaic with "Z" values used to label each XY combination (e.g. correlations between each combination of variables plotted on X and Y axes). Label format and string are customizable.
- 3D Tetrahedral: For worksheet columns designated as XYZZ. Data are normalized by row and plotted in a tetrahedral (pyramidal) coordinate system. Options for scatter, line and line+symbol plots.
- Violin Plot: A derivative of the box plot, with the probability distribution plotted in place of the box. Like box plots, Violin plots typically display a mean or median and an interquartile range. As with box plots, Origin's Violin plots are highly-customizable, including a "Split Violin" variation for contrasting measurements on two independent variables (e.g. male vs female).
- Stacked Histogram: Previously, there was a multi-panel stacked graph of separate histograms. This is now named as a "Multi-panel Histogram". The new "Stacked Histogram" is a single-layer graph with bin counts stacked by group.
- Row Titles for Tick Label Tables: Tick Label tables, used commonly in plots of categorical data, now support customizable row titles for each table row.
- Wrap Legend Text using %(CRLF): Control wrapping of graph legend custom text by inserting %(CRLF) at the wrap point.
- Image Plots support Missing Values: Image Plots now support missing values.
- Auto-reposition Box Chart Labels: There is now an Auto Reposition to Avoid Overlapping check box on the Plot Details Label tab.
- Label Median Value in Box Chart: An option to display and label the median value in the box chart, is added.
- "Long Minus" option in Axis Tick Labels: Set a new graph property
page.longminus = 1 to enable display of a "long minus" sign.
- Remove a Plot from the Group: Use the Object Manager to remove individual plots from a plot group, without removing the entire group.
- Edit Range shortcut menu command: Right-click on a plot and choose Edit Range to modify the plot display range.
- Conditional Formatting of Cells, by Expression: Format cells by mathematical expression (e.g. set background color for all cell values > 0).
- Conditional Formatting of Cells, Duplicates: Format cells by duplicate values.
- Conditional Formatting of Cells, Heatmap: Format cells by applying a customizable color scale by cell values.
- Conditional Formatting of Cells, Format Manager: Use the Conditional Format Manager to view or edit conditional rules for the current worksheet.
- Column List View for Worksheet: This new worksheet view mode essentially transposes the worksheet, while removing data from the view. This is most useful when you have many worksheet columns and a large amount of metadata stored in worksheet header rows.
- Support Non-English Sheet Name in Cell Formula: Expansion of Unicode support added in Origin 2018.
- Support for Copy-Paste of Leading Blank Rows: Previously, leading rows of blanks cells in columns of copied data were removed when pasting. Revert to previous behavior using system variable @CSB.
- Support Numeric Hex Display: Support native display of hex numbers (up to 13 hex-digits) without need to convert hex values using a function like Origin's Hex2Dec() function.
- Improved Percentage Support: You can now enter or paste percentages directly into the worksheet and they will be converted to decimal numbers (e.g. "12%" is pasted as "0.12").
- Copy and Paste Data Filters: When you add a filter to a worksheet column, a Filter row is added to the worksheet column label rows. You can now right click the Filter row cell, copy the filter and apply the same filter condition to another column with an existing (empty) filter.
- Zoom and Pan Improvements: You can invoke a worksheet scrolling mode by clicking on the mouse wheel while hovering on a worksheet. Point towards a sheet edge to scroll. This can be quite useful when combined with the new worksheet cell conditional formatting features.
- Split Worksheet to Retain 1st N Columns. The Split Worksheet tool now gives you the option of outputting the first N columns of the current sheet, to the new output sheet.
- Block Recalculation Operations: Selectively block recalculation operations by clicking a "lock" icon and choosing Block Recalculation.
- Hide Recalculation Locks: A lock icon is placed on the graph each time an analysis operation is performed. In some cases, these lock icons interfere with viewing of the graph. Clear the check beside View: Show: Lock to hide locks in the graph window.
- Improved File Import, Batch Process: Improvements to import of multiple files into multiple sheets in an Analysis Template.
- More LabTalk/Set Values functions: New functions added in in a number of categories, including integer-handling, engineering, math, complex, financial and statistical.
- Improved Import Wizard Support Date-Time: Support for greater precision in specifying Custom Date Format.
- LibXL Update: Updated LibXL to version 3.7.1 to for future compatibility with MS Excel.
- Import Wizard Supports OC relative path: User Defined Filters page, Origin C Source File now lists App Folder in addition to User Files Folder and Data Folder.
- Support for R 3.5.0: Support for the latest R software release.
- New LabTalk Linear Fit Functions: New functions added for slope(), intercept() and forecast().
- Improved Integer and Bit Operations Support: Support for integers and their bitwise operations has been extended from 32 to 52 bits.
- Programmatically create OPX files: An InitFromIni method is added to the OPXFile class to support using an OriginC function to create the App. Now, the user can create an OPX file without opening the Package Manager dialog box. This will be most useful to those who run Origin from the command line or from a Windows BAT file.
- HTML Mode for Notes window: LabTalk properties for configuring the active Notes window and for embedding various Origin objects in the page.
- Dataset Storage Access: Origin C and LabTalk support for getting the size of dataset storage.
- New OC Functions: New Origin C functions for font-handling, batch plotting, reorder plots in GraphLayer.
- Improve JSON::FromString() and JSON::ToString(): Support converting JS array to arbitrary OC vector types; support convert OC vector to JS array.
- OriginExt for Python: New OriginExt for Python 3.6.
- Link to Matrix Book or Sheet: Embed a matrix book or matrix sheet, in a worksheet cell.
- LT command to select Column Label Row: Added worksheet -sl switch to select worksheet column label rows.
- New Functions for Python Date Value: Added two functions to convert a date value to or from system time, for Origin's embedded Python implementation.
- COM Interface for Search Project: COM interface allows for full search ability within the Origin project file.
Installation and Licensing
- Improvements to Group Installation: Support for using a config.ini file under the setup (.EXE) folder.
- >> Prefill settings in installation - serial number, installation path, system type (32- or 64-bit) so that installers can simply run setup.
>> Preset license information, e.g. FlexNet server name, port number, etc.
>> Preset folders: User Files, Apps, AutoSave, Backup, etc. so that the user is not prompted when Origin first runs.
Apps for 2019
- Graph Maker (pre-installed): Create multi-panel and grouped plots and set attributes such as color and size by drag-and-drop of datasets.
- Statistics Advisor (pre-installed): Interactive dialog for choosing the appropriate statistical test, analysis tool or App.
- Peak Deconvolution : Perform peak fitting/deconvolution with a friendly interface.
- Design of Experiments : Design an experiment, fit a model to experimental data, and find best factor settings that optimize responses. Requires R software to be installed on your PC.
- Independent Component Analysis : Decompose observed mixed signals into sub-components which are assumed to be independent from each other. Input data can be either columns or matrices. Requires R software to be installed on your PC.
- Import LSM: Import images from LSM files.
- Gaussian Mixture Models : Fit Gaussian mixture models and cluster test data.
- Image Object Counter : Object identification and measurement in images.
- Global Fit, Multiple Functions : Perform global fit and share parameters between different functions.
- Graph Publisher: Help in preparing a graph for publication, with journal-specific assistance.
- Align Peaks: Align peaks of spectra by shifting, scaling, clipping and inserting data.