5 What's New in 2021
Origin 2021 New Feature Highlights
- Manage which color lists and palettes show in Mini Toolbars and other places in the user-interface.
- Create your own color lists and palettes, including by color-picking and interpolation of colors.
- Import color lists or palettes, with expanded support for more color formats.
- Enter formula for the selected cell.
- Enter formula for selected column or F(x)= cell.
- Better visibility when editing complex formulas, including font size support.
- Interactively select cell ranges while editing.
- Search and insert Origin built-in functions.
- Expanded Embedded Python Support
- New originpro package for easy, high-level access to Origin objects and data.
- Use Python functions in Set Column Values dialog.
- Define nonlinear fitting functions using Python.
- Python support added to Import Wizard.
- Access Python functions from LabTalk and Origin C.
- Sample projects and templates showing use of Python are included in Origin 2021.
- New Mini Toolbars for Quick Editing
- Tick Label Tables.
- Tables in Graphs.
- Date-Time Display in worksheets.
- Graph Legends.
- Set step-size for Toolbar buttons that increment some property (e.g. font size, rotation angle, etc).
- Chord Diagram.
- Lollipop Plot.
- Polar Vector.
- Stacked Browser Plot.
- Plus, Unicode Symbols for Scatter Plots.
New Features by Category
Import & Export
- CSV Connector adds support for .DAT files, including drag-and-drop support
- CSV Connector support for Append Rows by setting wks.DC.flags=256. Once set, data source change or re-import will continue to append rows to existing data.
- MATLAB Connector support for opaque variables (Date, Time, Duration, Table, etc.) in v6/v7 files
- MATLAB Connector support for importing tables from .MAT files
- Data Connectors that use a tree framework (MATLAB, JSON, NetCDF, etc.) now support preserving custom name of sheet upon data import.
- New TDMS Connector: Import NI TDMS file using a new Connector App.
- New DIFFRAC Connector App to import Bruker DQL/RAW files
- Data: Connect Multiple Files dialog (files2dc) now lets you specify all files in a folder as opposed to selecting individual files.
- Cache control for web-connected data (Data: Connect to Web). To limit need for data download, data is cached across sessions (saved with project) for a period that is a function of file size and data age (see @CFDT). Cache can be manually cleared by LT command
delete -web "URL".
- Support Clone Import for Data Connectors
- Read current cell content. Especially useful for reading long text strings
- Enter column (F(x)=) and cell formulas
- fx button to search and insert functions
- Edit mode: hunt to select a column, cell or range of cells
- Font size control using system variable @FBFS
- Toggle view on or off by View: Cell Formula Bar
- Speed improvements were made to the Set Column Values Function menu.
New Graph Types
- Specialized scatter plot with drop lines connecting two inline data points.
- Stack plots by Long Name, Units, etc.
- Select plots on Browser panel will select plots with the same name in each layer.
- Polar Vector θr θr.
- Compass Plot.
- Sankey-like flow diagram on a radial axis.
- Added palettes are available from applicable color lists (Style toolbar, Fill dialog box, etc).
- Support for Scribus (.xml), Office Color Table (.soc), Adobe Color (.aco), Adobe Color Table (.act), Adobe Swatch Exchange (.ase) and JASC PaintShopPro (.pal).
- Added "+" symbol to blank custom color well to cue you where to add custom colors.
- You can now customize head and tail colors for image plots.
- Mean of Pairwise Means
- Bland-Altman Ratio (0.5*(upper LoA - lower LoA)/Mean of Pairwise Means)
- Add Browser button for adding Browser panel to 2D graph page, added to Mini Toolbar
- Flip Through function added to menu of Browser panel. Specify Move By to view every Nth plot as a sequence
- Export Graphs Dialog Theme menu now has Save to <Graph> so that settings can be recalled graph-by-graph.
- Addition of Scientific: 1x10^3 Display as drop-down to Preferences: Options: Axis tab with spacing options (e.g. 1x10^3 vs 1 x 10^3)
- Preferences: Options: Axis for No Trailing Zero and Zero is '0' are now OFF (cleared) by default
- Align labels to the left, right, or center of the tick label block.
- Perpendicular and Parallel options added to Axis dialog Tick Labels > Format > Rotate (deg.)
- Arrangement drop-down list added when you enable Overlapped Points Offset Plotting, to choose Vertical or Horizontal offset.
- Button added to the graph page Mini Toolbar for centering all layers on the graph page without changing relative positions.
- Format codes for special characters (e.g. Unicode) in the plot legend will no longer show in the Object Manager.
- Support drawing background image before layer Background (set
- Mini Toolbar buttons for layer Background Color and Transparency.
- When Background Color enabled and
layer.bib=1;, adjust Transparency from Mini Toolbar.
- Mini Toolbar buttons also work to set Background Color and Transparency when no background image exists.
- Color List and Palette List popup is now dynamic
- Mask data points on source worksheet to mask points in the graph
- When Batch Plot with Book or Sheet and Exact is checked, the only matching column, sheet and Modifier will display (same as previous behavior). Only group plots support Exact.
- When Exact is cleared, display any book/sheet that matches by at least one column
- Formula Bar, Custom Scale option (Direct Formula and Inverse Formula), At Axis Value for Reference Lines, Scatter Size Formula.
- Default mask or unmask mode changed from row index number to rectangular region.
- System variable @MTI (persistent) added to revert to old behavior.
- Display of color scale head and tail levels can now be controlled independently.
- Can be set to Fixed, Normal, Auto, etc.
- When you Set as Group Begin/End for plots with different properties (e.g. different color lists), an increment list is created "on the fly."
- If all plots share a common property (e.g. same color list), then no incrementing is done (i.e. the current color of each plot is kept).
- The control that opened the Graph Browser has been changed for clarity. The same was done for the Matrix Browser and Image Browser.
- Enter a code point beside the new Unicode check box on the Plot Details Symbol tab
- New page-level Layer tab check boxes for Independent Layer Control and Independent Binning Control.
- Axis scale of the upper-left layer now displays for scatter plots instead of histogram.
- Option for Plot Order to follow categorical order of source data.
- Get filter information from source data.
- Sankey categories are ordered by an algorithm designed to minimize link overlap. A new Node tab check box Order by Data lets you order categories by list order in the column.
- When layers are linked by a common X axis, you can now simply select the "front" layer and push it to the back using Object Manager (OM). Previously, swapping layers in OM would prompt to break layer linking.
Text and Data Labels, Legends and Graphic Objects
- Legend-specific buttons in addition to text formatting.
- Mini Toolbar for legend symbols.
- Mini Toolbar for color scale.
- Mini Toolbar for bubble scale.
- Rotate combo-box added to Properties dialog Dimension tab for rotating to a specific angle.
- Mini Toolbar buttons for rotating clockwise or counter-clockwise in 45 degree increments.
- Apply formatting to This Layer, This Window (Color, Font, Font and Size).
- Specify different label source for each plot.
- Naming a special point as
end; or when labeling, using these keywords to Show at Specified Points Only, applies special point or label properties to the point associated with the plot's first or last row index.
- Pressing the Shift key while moving a selected object (graph layer, line, text) will limit movement to horizontal or vertical directions.
- User control for buttons which increment plot properties up or down, by one unit for each click.
- Uses a root @INC## with ## options for symbol size, font size, line thickness, etc.
- Other Mini Toolbar Additions
- Support for the form %(?,@L) similar to axis titles
Worksheet and Matrix
- New buttons for setting displayed digits, date and time formats.
- Buttons for enabling Rich Text, hiding columns, inserting User-parameter rows, changing row order, etc.
- When copying and pasting date-time from Excel, Origin worksheet cells will be auto-formatted as date-time
- Insert info variable and select a date from file info list, cell is auto-formatted as date
- A new Fix Time Wrap Around Mini Toolbar button for incrementing days with time-only data
- No longer necessary to duplicate wtranspose output before using it as analysis input
- Direct entry of HTML color code to set cell background color
- Use color(A,B,C) to calculate hex values and set colors from RGB values in cols A, B, C
- Check box in Properties to control display of HTML color codes
- Mini Toolbar button to set color and Save as Increment List
- Create Color List from Column option for Custom colors
- Add Custom Colors by pasting an HTML code
- A Save Formula button is added to the left of Search and Insert Functions button in Set Values
- New option for Mask Cells by Condition
- In addition to rectangle, matrix image mode supports circle, polygon, region tool, to define region-of-interest.
- Replaces Ctrl+Enter but revert with system variable @FCA=1
- Also applies to multi-line text in graph and script window
- Users who accidentally shift to Column List View by Ctrl+W and who think they may have deleted their data, may try to "undo" (Ctrl+Z) to restore data. Support added for Ctrl+Z to return to standard view.
- Options for movavg, tmovavg, movcoef.
- Omit missing values from calculation (current default).
- Include missing values.
- Omit missing values from calculation but show in output.
- Show better data range information.
- Change background color for increased visibility.
- For Set Values operations, show formula, input range and Before Formula Script (if it exists).
- Add No Extrapolation option when Averaged X = Full X Range, Custom or Follow Curve Trace.
- Allow setting a sampling interval (Column: Set Sampling Interval) for columns that show operations locks.
- Enable Linear Constraints Status and Constraints are now checked by default.
- Eliminate abs() function from GCAS function formula.
- Clearer labeling and presentation of Range String Builder dialog, plus better context labeling of controls (e.g. "Range String Builder" is now "Custom" (for custom range string) in the Output flyout menu.
- Previously, these buttons were only added to the Summary Sheet when Data Source was Import From Files. Now added for use with existing data.
- A Linked Cursor for Each Layer button is added to track the same X position for all layers
- Download fitting functions or share a function with the OriginLab community.
- Data from multiple sheets now accepted for input range.
- Quick access to the OriginLab Forum, Blog, Webinars, YouTube channel, etc.
- Copy and paste the Notes window, in its entirety, to another folder or session.
- New methods are added for rolling out predefined system variables or for distribution of package files (opx/opk) during Origin software installation.
- Excel-like PRODUCT() function
- Excel-like LET() function
- Command Window: Mouse-wheel zoom, better autocomplete
run -pcommands to update pending operations
- LabTalk access to Dash Definition at plot level
- GetN supports dataset elements
- LabTalk control of box plots
- LabTalk support for sorting columns by Long Name, etc.
- LabTalk control of plot label object (layer.plot.label), including show or hide label by row index
- There is a new originpro package for Python users. This package works on a higher level, providing easy access to workbooks, matrices, graphs, data frames and NumPy arrays with very little coding.
- Update pre-shipped Python version to 3.8.3. Remove support for version 2 .
- Sample Origin projects have been added to <Origin Program>\Samples\Python. Python code is attached to projects as .py files.
- Menu access: Open .py files directly in Code Builder from Connectivity menu by choosing Open... or Open untitled.py.
- Wrap text in Python Console: Allow wrapping for dir command output in Python Console
- Add new function for Python Object to call LabTalk, with a return value. GetNumProp, GetStrProp, SetNumProp, SetStrProp, DoMethod are added for PyOrigin and OriginExt.
- All pip commands are supported in LabTalk now (e.g.
pip install numpy;.
- Code Builder Tools menu now has a Python Packages entry that opens a list of installed packages. Use the dialog to install or uninstall packages.
- Call Python functions from Origin C..
- Call Python functions from Labtalk and Column Formula.
- Allow immediate print for embedded Python
- LabTalk run command to allow ANSI .py file (e.g.
run -pyf test.py)
- Add three MatrixLayer class functions to OriginExt and PyOrigin:
SetShape(self, nRows, nCols, bKeepData=FALSE), SetNumMats(self, nMats), GetNumMats(self)
- COM improvements to allow calling a named template (workbook, matrixbook, analysis)
- Added OrglabExt for better COM connection to Origin from external Python
- Added Python Function tab in Set Values dialog .
- New OC function to download color palette, with option to install: Scribus (.xml) (XML), Office Color Table (.soc) (XML), CorelDraw and Corel PhotoPaint (.xml) (XML), Adobe Color (.aco) (Binary), Adobe Color Table (.act) (Binary), Adobe Swatch Exchange (.ase) (binary), JASC PaintShopPro (.pal) (Text)
- Support Visual Studio shortcut keys for common actions (e.g. Ctrl+K, Ctrl+S for Debug: Execute Current Section)
- Support for debug of Python files.
- Previously, an automatic check was run on when the App Center was opened. This could delay usage by up to 15 sec. Now, checking is at the user's discretion, after the App Center is opened.
- Right-click in the Apps Gallery, Sort Apps > Recently Used.
New Apps for Origin 2021
- Neural Network Regression
- Optimization Solver
- Periodic Report
- HTML Table Assistant
- Import PDF Tables
- Taylor Diagram
- Apparent Integration
- Rank Models by Fitted Reports
- Detrended Correspondence Analysis
- 3D Polar Strain Map
- TDMS Connector
- Yokogawa WDF Connector